It is always a challenge. And personally, always not easy to do. I spend a couple of hours or even days for writing a personal statement for different occasions. But talking about the Personal Statement for such honoured UK Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Visa I have doubled my work.
Actually, I have written four personal statements. I have done them in different styles, with unequal amount of words and characters but in general, I can highlight the most important aspects of personal statement:
- Length. Maximum 7000 characters that is two sides of one A4 in Times Roman 12. My personal statement was 6041 character. You should not write a “War and Peace” about yourself but being too short is also not the best options. The people who will read your statement need to feel you, your level and ideas.
- Content. Tech City UK has already declared what do they want to read. Hence, obligatory you need to cover:
• Why do you want to come to the UK?• What will your occupation be in the UK?• Which region or city of the UK are you planning to live in?• How will the UK digital technology sector benefit from your work? (examples of this might include the technological advances you will bring, the creation of new markets, the planned growth of a company, the activities you will take part in outside of your direct occupation).• What are your long-term plans in the UK?
I will write more details regarding all of these points below.
- Proofreading. If you are fluent English speaker – this is great! But if not, you need to ask someone with better command of English to help you. Ideally, it must be s professional translation service. But it costs money. So even without professional translator and proofreader you can write acceptable Personal Statement.
Sure, silly mistakes are not permitted. But to cut them – install add-on or extension, which marks elementary mistakes, to your web browser and it will bring a little help. But in general, do not be scared too much about English grammar.
I have written the statement by myself. My English is not perfect but I did my best to correct all mistakes. I read my statement during a couple of days in the morning and in the evening. And if you also will use this method – you will find some extra comas, dots, incorrect articles, etc.
- Salutation. It is up to you, but I at the beginning of my statement, I wrote “Good afternoon, my name is Andrii and I would like to provide more details regarding my application for a Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Visa to work and do entrepreneurship in the United Kingdom.” At the end of my statement, I wrote shortly: “Thank you for your time. Sincerely, Andrii Seleznov”. Perhaps, these parts of the application does not bring any points but this is a matter of personal culture and mindset.
And finally, I want to write some thoughts about every paragraph (read – question) of the statement:
Why do you want to come to the UK?
We see better future here. But all of us have our unique reasons to leave our native countries and go to the UK. So write about them. Try to decrease level of general words and phrases. Be precise and transparent. And imagine that you are explaining your decision to move to the UK to your mentor, best friend or grandmother. Because your statement will be read by real people. So you must use human language, not official clichés.
What will your occupation be in the UK?
Do not be afraid of being unemployed or without well-paid job. Remember – you are applying for a great visa, that does not require any obligatory conditions or financial statements. Write truthfully about your employment status, your plans, entrepreneurial accomplishments and startup dreams. I have done this in my statement.
I wrote about my previous achievements as a basis for my future goals in the UK. Also, I demonstrate that my education, my work experience and my personal mindset are focused only on innovation, development and creating something new. And these words were supported by facts and wins of my life.
Which region or city of the UK are you planning to live in?
If you plan to move in non-London area – I believe you will be in better chance to be endorsed. The Government of the United Kingdom tries to cut shortage of IT specialists all around the UK, not only in London. Moreover, London, in fact, is overloaded with IT experts and every startup dreams about a desk or a small corner at the Shoreditch :). At the same time, you do not need to lie since nothing is secret, that shall not be made manifest. If you go to London – write what you will do here and why it is impossible to do the same things anywhere else.
How will the UK digital technology sector benefit from your work?
Very hard part. But having something unusual and unique to offer to the world, you have already got what to write about. Your talent that you are promoting for the Tech City UK endorsement, what it is about? Even if you have never been in the UK, think about your individual characteristics and something special that you have. If this gives you a chance to differ in global scale, you will surely have a chance to grow this difference in the UK.
What are your long-term plans in the UK?
In this paragraph, I wrote about my dependants. Who are them and how the UK will benefit if I will come to this country with them. I also wrote about our overall plans and hopes.